Banstead Snooker & Billiards

  High Street, Banstead, Surrey, SM7 2NN  
 
Club History Banstead Institute Mens Club Est. 1907
Home Page
Club History
Membership
Contact Us
Events
Members Area
Gallery
     Based in Banstead, Surrey, the Club was founded in 1907. In May of that year the brother of the then vicar of All Saints Church, George Woodroffe, donated 1,000 for the provision of an "institute and parish room". A Committee of well known and influential people was formed and they decided to build on the orchard next to the church.

     Towards the end of 1907, the Committee resolved to form a working mens club and this is the club which survives today. A local resident presented a billiards table, which is still in use, and the games then played were billiards and bagatelle.

     The fortunes of the Club waned during the 1914-18 war but picked up again soon after. In 1922 it was decided to extend the Institute, the extension to be used as permanent accommodation for the Mens Club. During that time club activities included, billiards, darts bagatelle, boxing, socials ,whist drives and the occasional dance. A tender for the extension to the Institute for 2,250 was approved in April 1925 and, on completion of the work, a second table was purchased for 50. In 1934 snooker was introduced but did not take off and a year later the balls were sold.

     During the 1939-45 war the Clubs facilities were partly used by the police, fire service and Canadian troops stationed in the area. After the war finances improved allowing a third table to be bought.

     Today the Club is non-licensed and is a place where playing billiards and snooker in quiet, friendly surroundings is the sole pursuit. There are three first class tables and an array of equipment including spare cues. Importantly the Club is non-profit making so is able to keep subscriptions to a minimum. The Club has entered a team into the Epsom and District Billiards and Snooker League (Surrey) every year since its inception in 1907. See full history.
tables_bimc